Hi,

This question is follow-up of the thread "Question about memory usage in Multigrid preconditioner". I used to have the "Out of Memory(OOM)" problem when using the CG+Telescope MG solver with 32768 cores. Adding the "-matrap 0; -matptap_scalable" option did solve that problem.

Then I test the scalability by solving a 3d poisson eqn for 1 step. I used one sub-communicator in all the tests. The difference between the petsc options in those tests are: 1 the pc_telescope_reduction_factor; 2 the number of multigrid levels in the up/down solver. The function "ksp_solve" is timed. It is kind of slow and doesn't scale at all.

Test1: 512^3 grid points
Core# telescope_reduction_factor MG levels# for up/down solver Time for KSPSolve (s) 512 8 4 / 3 6.2466 4096 64 5 / 3 0.9361 32768 64 4 / 3 4.8914

Test2: 1024^3 grid points
Core# telescope_reduction_factor MG levels# for up/down solver Time for KSPSolve (s) 4096 64 5 / 4 3.4139 8192 128 5 / 4 2.4196 16384 32 5 / 3 5.4150 32768 64 5 / 3 5.6067 65536 128 5 / 3 6.5219

I guess I didn't set the MG levels properly. What would be the efficient way to arrange the MG levels? Also which preconditionr at the coarse mesh of the 2nd communicator should I use to improve the performance?

I attached the test code and the petsc options file for the 1024^3 cube with 32768 cores.

Thank you.

Regards,
Frank