Matt,

I'll have a go at writing Xdmf files.

Am I right in thinking that VTK files are written sequentially?

Thanks,

David

On 09/07/2020 20:17, Matthew Knepley wrote:
On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:51 PM David Scott <d.sc...@epcc.ed.ac.uk <mailto:d.sc...@epcc.ed.ac.uk>> wrote:

    Hello,

    I have written out a Vec using the (Fortran) HDF5 routines provided by
    PETSc.
    I now want to import the data into ParaView 5.8.0 and display a
    contour.
    I can read the data in using VisItPixieReader but the contour tool is
    not available. Can I use the HDF5 files produced by PETSc 13.3.3 with
    ParaView and, if so, how?

When you call VecView(), it just writes an array of real numbers to the HDF5 file. If Paraview can use an array of real numbers, then you are all set. I don't know how to make Paraview do that. What I do is to write an Xdmf file that points to the HDF5 file for the data and specifies the mesh using XML. Note  that you can have
a DMDA or DMPlex write VTK files, which Paraview can read directly.

  Thanks,

     Matt

    David

    Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

-- Norbert Wiener