I completely forgot about the fact binat is evaluated first.  I do
remember reading that it just didn't click since I was focused on the
syntax issue.  I've got some hints and stuff to check into.  One of them
  them mentioned running spamd from the mail server instead of the
firewall just to make life easier.

Thank you for your time and help!  Also, thanks to everyone else who
replied off the list!

Shane