I'm going to revisit this topic... as a comment from eWeek's OpenHack 4
caught my attention.  On the following page, in the left column...

http://www.eweek.com/image_popup/0,3662,s=25546&iid=18512,00.asp

Regarding OpenBSD 3.2 PF:
  *** We did notice a few problems where pf rules we wrote using the
firewall's "keep state" option would incorrectly block packets returned as a
result of an incoming connection ***

That is a pretty good description of what I thought we  observed that
prompted me to start this thread.  In our case, we suspected the problem
seemed to favor some users over others.  So I had assumed it was the browser
/ TCPIP stack thee web browser was using?

Maybe the common thread is:  Windows 2000 IIS behind the firewall.

When we used "keep state" on our out rules, we would see port 80 packets
originating from our IIS server were sometimes showing in the log as
dropped. But we could not figure out why some people have this happen and
not others.  At the time we were busy and had to resort to "pass out all on
port 80" style rules to get around the problem.

At this point I'm still at the discussion stage.  We are in the process of
updating our PF bridge firewalls from 3.1-STABLE to 3.2-STABLE right now, so
I don't have logs to show of this.  But I am interested if anyone else can
confirm this type of problem so we can help focus where to look.

We are using Intel ISP1100 servers for our PF firewalls, using the onboard
fxp adapters for the bridge.  These seem to be on the "good stuff" in terms
of recommended OpenBSD hardware.

After we get the firewall on 3.2-stable, I will revert back to using "keep
state" or "modulate state" instead of our pass out all and see what we find.

Again, anyone else in same boat?

Thanks.

  Stephen Gutknecht