arrgghh!  ok I must be missing something really simple.

on to my famous ascii art!!

[internet]---[OBSD]---[DMZ with ftp server] <-public range no on a NAT
               /  \
              /   NAT2 (connects fine to ftp server in active mode)
            NAT1 (also connects just fine in active mode)

Clients on the internet cannot connect fine in active mode.
I've even set the policy to "pass in quick all" and "pass out quick all"

The login screen pops right up immediatelly when i use the pass all
rules, but then I still have to switch to passive when I connect from
the outside.  As soon as I switch back to my block in all I have to wait
about a minute for the login screen to pop up, as well as switch to
passive after I've authenticated.  I'm assuming 2 things,

1> pf is doing something funky to make the connection take a really long
time.

2> the ftp server doesn't know how to do active ftp when going out over
the $WAN connnection which it does of the 2 NAT connections.

What am I missing here?

--Bryan