From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Henning Brauer
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 8:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: pf/altq on a fast link

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 02:01:34AM -0700, Tony Faoro wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I operate a web-hosting/colocation/game server hosting company with a
> generous amount of available banwidth. I have a OpenBSD bridge
> firewalling my network but after reading about the 'Prioritizing empty

> TCP ACKs with pf and ALTQ' I began to realize that there may be more I

> can do to speed things up on my link.
>
> If anyone out there would be so kind as to share a pf.conf they are
> using in a similar circumstance that would be great. I'm somewhat new
> to the packet prioritizing world and would love some real world
> examples you all have had success with.

all traffic priorization has only real effects on saturated links. on
non-saturated ones they can be used for bandwidth shaping, and,
IMHO the most important thing, make sure that in case of saturation
the important stuff does not get delayed too much.
the tco ack priorization is mostky a ADSL thing. In theory it has
effects elesewhere too, in practice it's mostly ADSL winning.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Dennis Ritchie)