> How does this interact with syn-proxy ?

It'll work find if you add the "OS <string>" modifier on the syn-proxy
line.  You won't get an accurate fingerprint onthe outbound direction
after it goes through the syn proxy.

> I would like other types of SYN packets to be added to the database.
> I'm talking about those that aren't created by a OS stack, but tools like
> hping, nmap, ettercap, firewalk...

NMAP is already included.  The quickest way to add them (if they're
unique and use a SYN packet) is to down load the beta p0f at
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/p0f-beta.tgz.  Run it while you're scanning,
copy the fingerprint and adapt it to our format.

The p0f fingerprints have an OS and a Desc field.  We have an OS, a
Version, a subtype/patchlevel and an overall description field.  The
format is documented if the pf.os man page and in /etc/pf.os itself.

.mike