On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:50:24AM -0500, Chris Reining wrote:
> Why don't you just run a chrooted snort on $ext_if?
choose one:

a. machines running snort usually have much higher requirements
   (disk space, cpu, connection to a database?)

b. complex processes/services on a firewall is a bad thing

c. running snort chrooted does not remove risks associated
   with the open bpf interface in snort i.e. a potential exploit
   can still sniff all your interfaces, send arbitrary signals
   to arbitrary processes etc.

> Chris

And to answer the original question(s)

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 09:25:37AM -0400, Aaron Wade wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have a 3.3 based firewall, and I am looking at deploying snort on a 3rd
> > interface.  It seems like dup-to is the best option for this, but I have a
> > few questions as to how it works.
> >
> > How does dup-to work with scrub ? If scrub is reassembling packets, how
> > could the IDS pick up a fragmented attack ?

It can not. But your internal hosts will not be affected (due to scrub)
so there is no problem. If you still want to know if someone _attempted_
a fragmentation attack, you can increase debug level of pf
(read -x switch in pfctl(8) ) and check system (firewall) logs.

> > I have explicit deny rules in place, so I am assuming the following would
> > work ?
> >
> > block log on $ext_if dup-to $IDS all
> >
> > If that wouldn't do the trick, what would ?

only the packets blocked by the above rule will be duplicated to $ids
if you want other packets, you have to add explicit dup-to statement to
the rules/connections you want to inspect.

> > The 3rd interface will simply be "up" with no IP and the IDS is active with
> > a unidirectional cable connecting the two.  Are there any issues with that ?

unidirectional? you may have autonegotiation problems with that
I have not tried it but you may get away with manually specifying
media type and speed on both sides of the cable.

why not use a simple crossover cable?