On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 02:28:26AM -0500, James Cammarata wrote:
> At 06:00 AM 6/16/2004, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Does anybody protect any oracle rdbms (sqlnet protocol) using
> >obsd 3.5 + carp + pfsync ? Does it work ? Is it problematic ?
>
> I assume you want to do a redundant DB correct?  Databases are not suited
> to this kind of failover, due to the lack of consistency between the files
> on different disks.  Your best bet is to use Oracle's built in redundancy
> (as expensive as that may be).  Creating a stand-by server is not cheap,
> but that is the kind of redundancy you want.

I don't want to use stand-by server. I am aware of it and what it does.
Let assume I have oracle rdbms behind obsd firewall (working as a bridge) and
it works ok. Now obsd is a single point of failure (SPOF) and if it
crashes/hangs (due to e.g. hardware failure) nobody can access oracle.
If I setup second obsd fw in a pair with the first (using carp + pfsync)
the obsd is not a SPOF but I am not sure if such configuration
influences sqlnet traffic somehow.

przemol