Summer is over. School is back in session. The 4,500 students behind my OpenBSD 3.5 pf firewall are mostly settled into their dorm rooms. My nightmare begins. A single Blaster infection can spray out thousands of connections in seconds. One sad day, I had to reboot my firewall three or four times before we could identify and disconnect the offending student(s).

My first thought is to cron a job, once a minute, to monitor the number of states in `pfctl -s info` ... if any single minute yields an increase of more than 50,000 states, then I flush all states and reload the ruleset.

Is there a better way to contain disaster? With ipfilter, I tweaked kernel settings such as NKMEMCLUSTERS and NMBCLUSTERS to obscenely high numbers (such as 16K). Any other kernel tweaks? Or better yet, anything within pf to directly contain such a state runaway scenario?

Thanks for your time,

jw