Paul Cusbish wrote:
[ All, a bit of a late followup, but i've included some rules this time.  Thanks for
your help ]

Hi there,

I have a common setup (seen it a few times on this list) -

xl0      LAN
fxp0   Cable / dynamic address
fxp1   ADSL / static (DNS, SMTP, HTTP etc...)

The default gateway is fxp0, of which is nat'd.

The fxp1 link is, as specified above, the "services" link.  I have some reply-to rules
for SMTP, HTTP etc,
to avoid asymmetric routing, which works great.

I have BOTH links natting now.

I do tend to use IRC and Mail from the gateway, and not from the internal network.
How would the rules differ?

Here are the route-to rules that do not work:
nat on $cable_if from $internal_net to any -> ($cable_if)           (NOTE: This is the
default route)
nat on $adsl_if from $internal_net to any -> ($adsl_if)

pass out quick on $adsl_if route-to ($adsl_if $adsl_route) inet proto tcp from any to any port 25 modulate state

Problem is that this rule cannot work. The default route is set on $cable_if, therefore the "pass out quick on $ADSL_IF" rule will never be kicks in. That is the classical chicken-and-egg problem. you need to do something like:

   pass out quick on $CABLE_IF route-to ($ADSL_IF...

But then, your nat rules will also need adjustments.
That's a PITA to get right, but that's doable.
Have fun!
Cedric