At the risk of belaboring the point I see nothing in an rfc that
mentions ident in relation to mail or any other service. At most
was this entry in a man page I found for some nat impl:

"Some system administrators configure Mail Servers, Telnet Servers and others to send an IDENT request to the client. The client should respond with an IDENT Response, but most Windows systems simply respond with a TCP reset, and the server continues normally."

This and other man entries like it are I suspect the reason for
the lingering belief that ident is used by mtas. I don't *believe*
that ident is absolutely nessessary for any but the oldest impl of
a service today. One upgrade of that daemon will most likely obviate
the need.

I've been wrong before, but... occam's don't fail me now.