Daniel Hartmeier wrote:

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 05:05:41PM +1100, Matt Pearce wrote:

Can someone tell me if the load balancing in PF divides the data amonst the interfaces by packet or connection ??

ie for an outgoing request to a web server with 2x512/512 DSL connection, someone requests a download of 20mb, now will this 20mb be restricted to only one of the connections or will pf spread it between them both giving your effectively 1024k/sec upload speed ??

The former.

In general, if you have different IPs for each uplink, you can't send
out packets of one connection through both interfaces. All packets for
one HTTP connection must have the same source address (or the peer will
drop them), and you can't generally source spoof on one of the uplinks
(the ISP might block them, due to source spoofing).

Daniel

Thankyou Daniel, I do believe I can spoof the packets source ip as the ISP "may" allow it, if they do allow it is there any way to setup pf to spoof packet source ip address ?? Also the ISP being used is allowing the client to use 2x512 ADSL connections and do a round robin setup on there end for incomming packets so the spoofed address would be comming from the same router anyways.

But back to my question, if all is favorable, is it possible to upload to one source at the total combined speed of both links ??

Thanks for your help,

Matt.