I had the same problem with a 3.6 firewall.  I was load balancing over
two WAN connections and needed to force all AIM connections through
one of them - apparently aol doesn't like seeing multiple source IP's.
 Below is the section of my pf.conf that fixed it

#  aim bypass rule - needed to go out only one interface
pass in on $int_if route-to ($ext_if1 $ext_gw1)  \
proto tcp from $lan_net to any port 5190 flags S/SA modulate state

Cheers,
Brian