On 17:47, Mon 25 Apr 05, alex wilkinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am following daniel hartmeier's example pf.conf
> [http://www.benzedrine.cx/pf.conf].
>
> Something that I notice is that daniel allows all outgoing TCP and UDP
> traffic regardless of where it is going.
>
> Question: Isn't this a bad thing ? I would have thought it is best
> practice to only allow incomming and outgoing connections
> _explicitly_.  With the reason being some OS upload information to
> base camp (redmond) for statistical analsyis.
>
> I do something along the lines of:
>
> pass out on $EXT_IF inet proto tcp from $INT_IF:network to any  \
> port {80,443,22,21,20,6667} flags S/SA keep state

This will also allow the upload of info from windows update.
The connection to port 80 will create state and the stats
upload is simply a hidden form posted to $random_ms_server.

> So in a nutshell, do most of you guys just allow all TCP/UDP traffic
> out ? Or is what I am currently doing better ?

99% of the time it is enuf to filter incoming traffic and
allow outgoing out

--
Michiel van Baak
http://lunteren.vanbaak.info

"Two of the most famous products of Berkeley are LSD and BSD. I don't think
that this is a coincidence."