I'm trying to prioritize null acks on OpenBSD 3.5 with a simple setup
like http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/queueing.html#example1. I use ADSL
and the userland PPP, so I'm queuing on tun0.

My problem is that although the suggested altq rules allow simultaneous
full speed downloads and uploads, latency increases from tens or
hundreds of milliseconds to between two and four seconds. Strangely,
both TCP and ICMP seem to be affected. So the atlq rules make it
possible to download something large like an ISO, but browsing and
online gaming are still nearly impossible while uploading at full
speed.

Is this latency problem inherent to pf and altq, or might I have done
something wrong?