[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Camiel Dobbelaar) wrote in

> To answer your question: data connections go _through_ the firewall,
> so both an 'in' and 'out' pass rule are needed.

I think I got confused in the same way like Gabriel recently in the other
thread (clarification of the NAT behaviour) - I assumed that even in a
multihomed host, the filtering rules apply only once, and all translating
rules happen before (therefore, if such situation was true, the anchored
  pass in   would never happen).

Now I guess it's clear - anchored   pass in on $int   happens before
anchored nat rule - am I thinking right ? Although shouldn't nat precisely
specify the interface then ? (or is it that nat rules apply *only to*
outbound traffic and rdr *only to* inbound traffic ?)

This leads to another question - if we have effectively two rules - one
pass in, one pass out, both using keep-state, and both apply to the same
packets - first coming into on some interface and then leaving on some
other one, does it mean that two states will be created ?

Btw, any hints on my other question (company example re: bandwidth
management) ?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - remove X to reach me