On 7/17/06, Michal Soltys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Back to my point: with limited inbound traffic (by isp) to 1mbit, the
incoming traffic is just some traffic. If whatever comes in, assigned
to ext_bulk1 saturates a bit ext_bulk2 - total traffic will be still
1mbit, and there won't be any hmmm, strain to suddenly limit ext_bulk1
in favor of ext_bulk2 - as far as I understand, borrow options on both
subqueues will just make PF adapt to current shape of whatever in that
1 mbit comes back through fxp0 and fxp1 to internal hosts.

Correct.

If borrows
were not there, then it could work, assuming participating host(s)
would behave and slow down.

Indirectly, through TCP window shrinkage.  It's not a very elegant
method, since the packets have already crossed your WAN link and
consumed its bandwidth.  It won't have any effect on new TCP
connections.

Normally I'd just set one ifext_bulk queue, to make sure that traffic
coming from outside back to internal hosts, has always reserved 1mbit
outgoing queue on internal interface, and for example - other internal
hosts won't saturate the link by abusing some services sitting on routing
machine.

Use tagging on ext_if, and assign queues based on tags in the int_if.
--
``I am not a pessimist.  To perceive evil where it exists is, in my
opinion, a form of optimism.'' -- Roberto Rossellini