On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 10:23:35PM -0700, Frank M wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD 5.5. I have milter-regex
> installed and it is miltering just fine. Going through
> my /var/log directory, I see lots and lots of info
> from milter-regex in the debug.log. Is this normal? I
> have never used an application that ever dumped
> anything to this file.

Yes, that's working as intended, see the milter-regex(8) man page:

  LOGGING
    milter-regex sends log messages to syslogd(8) using facility
    daemon and, with increasing verbosity, level err, notice, info
    and debug.

Then see your /etc/syslog.conf, which defines what messages are stored
in what files

  *.=debug                                        /var/log/debug.log

If you don't want anything logged to debug.log, you can simply comment
out that line. Or you can have syslogd continue to log all debug
messages to the file _except_ those from milter-regex, see
syslog.conf(5) for the syntax ('!-prog', with FreeBSD syslogd).

Daniel