I think I found what I was looking for in src/sys/sys/conf.h. In particular, the device macros that set up the interfaces for /dev/pf. Then there is config (8) which autogenerates some code files, then / dev/MAKEDEV sets it up (a guess).

It might be obvious to you that I don't have access to an OpenBSD box, hence the silly questions.

As for downloading the system source tree, it doesn't immediately have a /dev/MAKEDEV. Does MAKEDEV support devfs or is it strictly the legacy style of devices?

Thanks,
Joe Gorse