** Reply to message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter N. M. Hansteen) on Mon,
08 Jan 2007 00:03:30 +0100

>The OTHER feature I thought of, since we're dealing with tables, is to
>have a way to declare tables with expire time for its entries.  We
>have expiretable for that, but I for one would find it convenient to
>be able to declare a table such as
>
> table <bruteforce> persist expire 24h
>
>meaning that table entries are removed when they have not been
>referenced during the last 24 hours.
>
>Oh well, it's late already.  But it would be nice to hear any thoughts
>on this, including "shoot this down, quick!"

I thought of this one myself recently.  It's a simple, strongly-related
function.  From the point of view of someone who's done a fair amount
of system-internals work but doesn't know the pf code, there's no
obvious reason that it's a bad idea.  It complements functions like
'overload' nicely; they're not very useful without some sort of
expiration tool, and it would be nice to be able to do this sort of
thing entirely within pf (especially with proper logging, etc).  I
expect that there are good uses for at least two versions: expire after
<period> with no references, and expire unconditionally <period> after
creation.

But it won't happen unless someone with the necessary knowledge and
skill set decides that it's worth the effort.  (I'd consider looking
into it myself, but I don't have the time right now to explore the
relevant parts of the pf code.)

        Dave

--
Dave Anderson