On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 06:53:27PM -0600, Daniel Melameth wrote:
> On 7/22/07, Daniel Melameth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Try a snapshot, i386 moved to the new timecounter code after 4.1.
> > >
> > > Though I note there is also an XXX about variable cpu frequency (in
> > > sys/altq/altq_subr.c) which might affect you if you adjust cpu speed
> > > (manually or by apmd).

> > > For this you might like to try a diff of mine and report back
> > > (http://spacehopper.org/openbsd/altq_tbradapt.diff).
> > > It won't help the other problem though.
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I can't readily do a snapshot
> > now, but since I am using apmd, I'll try this avenue first and see
> > what happens.  I also went ahead and incorporated your diffs into my
> > currently running 4.1-stable and it appears to be working quite well,
> > but I'm not certain if I'm piloting these changes the correct way--so
> > if there's an ideal way you'd recommend piloting this, let me know.
> > Regardless, I'll monitor the result of these diffs this week and give
> > you a heads up at the end of the week.
>
> Stuart,
>
> I did some simple piloting of your diffs and they work quite nicely.
> The details:
>
> Without altq, I get a fairly consistent roundtrip latency of 58ms to a
> known good host when there is no congestion--and when the upstream is
> saturated, latency to the same host goes up to ~220ms.  If I use altq
> without your diffs and specify my maximum upload bandwidth of 896Kb,
> as expected the overhead of PPPoE tramples this and I still get ~220ms
> under saturation even with a high priority queue.  In order to get
> decency latency in this case, I have to artificially estimate a
> bandwidth of ~716Kb--and this provides for a high priority queue
> latency of ~68ms while saturated, which is pretty good.
>
> With your diffs though, not only do I get ~68ms for a high priority
> queue while using a bandwidth of 896Kb on a saturated connection, but
> my maximum upload speed is, consistently, a bit higher as well when
> compared to using a bandwidth of 716Kb without your diffs.  I
> continued to pilot your diffs further by seeding and downloading
> multiple torrents simultaneously--to more heavily expose small TCP
> ACKs to the stream--and I continued to get these consistently good
> results.
>
> I have been using your diffs for almost a week now with nary an issue.
>  So, my next question is:
>
> HOW DO WE GET YOUR GREAT DIFFS INTO -CURRRENT OR A SNAPSHOT?

The problem with this diff is that it assumes an ADSL link.
While 'vcmux' is obviously ADSL terminology, I assume
having 'pppoe' or 'bridge' would confuse others trying to
use non-adsl pppoe connections or even real bridges.

While altq is not my area, I think the diff would be
more useful if it allowed an 'overhead' and a 'scale'
to be set on an interface. You could then document suitable
values for commonly used setups (pppoe/vcmux/whatever).