As you and others have stated, the 4.2 upgrade will probably help.  What
does 'pfctl -vsi' say?  Anything different?

If I were in your shoes, I'd do exactly what you are doing -- the 4.2
upgrade and search for NICs with better interrupt handling.  In
a previous life when I was doing a lot more pf than I am now, I used
em(4) exclusively, but that was only because it was a good mix of
performance and convenience.  I seem to recall that, at least at one
point in the past, some of the SysKonnect/Marvell cards were supposedly
good with interrupt handling, but I cannot seem to find anything to back
that up.

What about the ever popular net.inet.ip.ifq tweaks?  The following
thread seems to touch on this issue (and others) a good amount:

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/openbsd-misc/2007/9/26/322759

Lastly, do you have any optimization set in your pf.conf?  I've actually
always used 'aggressive' and have found that it helps keep things tidy
and rarely times out legitimate connections.  Though I know being in edu
makes things like this difficult.

-jon