On 2008/01/14 07:49, Tihomir koychev wrote:
> >>one other question: Will pfctl expand port != {53, ...} ?
>
> Yes it will
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/macros.html

not for port number.
(and see the warning on that page for lists of addresses :-)

Slightly ugly, but how about this?

  pass out quick on $ext_if proto {udp,tcp} from <external> to port 53
  block out quick on $ext_if proto {udp,tcp} to port 53
  pass out quick on $ext_if

I think I would be looking at converting the ruleset to use tags
though. It is a major change but I find it much easier to work with.
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/tagging.html

> I really want quick on this rule since it is the most used rule in a
> large (several hundred rules) ruleset.

Remember that with stateful rules, packets from established connections
don't traverse the ruleset, the state table is checked first.