On 04/08/2008 01:45:00 AM, Adam Richards wrote:
On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 07:53:39PM +0900, Ryan McBride wrote:

> Keeping state is required for NAT to work, because you need to keep
> track of the mapping so that the return packets can be translated
back
> the other way;

Required?  Technically, no (although it's a good idea for many
reasons in most situations).

..

Quoting from <http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2007/09/27/55>

        " Stateless NAT is useful in controlled environments where
        restrictions are placed on through traffic such that we don't
        need connection tracking to correctly NAT protocol-specific
        data.

What restrictions would those be?  The only one I can think of is
when the NATting is 1-to-1 with respect to internal and external IPs.

Karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein