On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 11:06 PM, Shirley Wang <sw...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 4:26 AM Dave Page <dp...@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> [moving to the pgadmin-hackers mailing list as this a pgAdmin feature]
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Akshay Joshi <
>> akshay.jo...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dave
>>>
>>> Murtuza and I started thinking about "How to add Declarative
>>> Partitioning" support in pgAdmin4. We thought instead of showing Partition
>>> Table under existing Tables collection, we should add new collection node
>>> "Partition Tables". Showing table under the table node recursively will
>>> require lots of code changes in table and it's child nodes (column, index,
>>> trigger, etc..) which is more complex and error prone.
>>>

>> Perhaps, but from the user's perspective, there's no reason to list them
>> separately - they are just tables with a different structure from others.
>> We shouldn't confuse the user just because it's more convenient for us.
>>
>> I really think it should look like this:
>>
>> - Tables
>>   - t1
>>     - Columns
>>     - Constraints
>>     - Partitions
>>       - p1
>>         - Sub Objects (whatever they may be)
>>       - p2
>>   - t2
>>

>>> Below is the design that we can implement:
>>>
>>>    - Create new "Partition Tables" collection node. User will be able
>>>    to create partition table by clicking "Create -> Partition Table" menu
>>> that
>>>    we will add on collection node. We will share the dialog prototype
>>>    later once we will have complete understanding of it.
>>>
>>> Can you share a mock-up of the dialog? The Figma tool that Shirley
>> shared looks like it'll be good for doing that - I can invite you to the
>> team.
>>

>>>    - Once table is created user will be able to create partitions by
>>>    clicking "Create -> Partitions" menu will be added on each partitioned
>>>    table node. We will share the dialog prototype later once we will
>>>    have complete understanding of it.
>>>
>>> I would expect the user to be able to define the partitioning scheme
>> when they create the table; e.g. on a new tab. It shouldn't be a two step
>> process.
>>

>>>    - We will have to show sub nodes like (column, index, trigger,
>>>    constraints, etc..) on main table while some of the sub nodes won't
>>> require
>>>    for partitions like (column and many more again require some more
>>> knowledge
>>>    on partitioning).
>>>
>>> OK.
>>

>>> Apart from above we will have to figure out following:
>>>
>>>    - How to remove partitions(table) from existing tables node as value
>>>    of relkind column is 'r' for partitions.
>>>    - Partitioning scheme to show in SQL pane for partitions.
>>>    - Some unknown issue/features of Declarative partitioning.

> [...]

    Sure, it would be great. We will require some R&D about which
feature/controls(Inheritance, Constraints, Indexes, Triggers and may be
more) works with partitioning and which we will have to disabled if user
will create partition table.

--
*Akshay Joshi*
*Principal Software Engineer *

*Phone: +91 20-3058-9517Mobile: +91 976-788-8246*