On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Akshay Joshi <akshay.jo...@enterprisedb.com
> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> For further implementation following task needs to be work upon:
>
>    - How to parse and show partitions keys. For example user has created
>    below partitioned table
>
> CREATE TABLE public.sales
> (
>     country character varying COLLATE pg_catalog."default" NOT NULL,
>     sales bigint,
>     saledate date
> ) PARTITION BY RANGE (*country, date_part('year'::text, sale date)*)
>
> When user open the properties dialog I am not able to figure out how to
> parse keys(displayed in bold in above example) and show them in our control
> that we used. For the time being I have hide that control in 'Edit' mode
> (Refer Attach Partition.png)

I assume psql with display that info with \dt or similar? What does it do?
Failing that, look at pg_dump?

>    - *Support of sub partitioning*: To implement sub-partitioning,
>    specify the PARTITION BY clause in the commands used to create individual
>    partitions, for example:
>    -
>
>    CREATE TABLE measurement_y2006 PARTITION OF measurement
>        FOR VALUES FROM ('2006-02-01') TO ('2006-03-01')
>        PARTITION BY RANGE (peaktemp);
>

>            To achieve above I have made some changes in GUI (Refer Sub
> Partition.png).
>            *Complex and challenging part here is "measurement_y2006" is
> partition of "measurement" and parent table for other partitions too which
> user can create later. How we will going to show this in browser tree? *
>            One option could be
>            Tables
>              ->measurement(table)
>                ->Partitions
>                  ->measurement_y2006(Partition of measurement and parent
> of p1)
>                    ->Partitions
>                      ->p1

Urgh. But yeah. I think that makes logical sense.

>    - *Attach Partitions*: To implement attach N partitions I have made
>    some changes in GUI( Refer Attach Partition.png). Attach Partitions
>    control will only be visible in "Edit" mode.
>
> I have only modified the UI changes, there are lots of work needs to be
> done to complete that.

I don't think I'd include Attach on the dialog. I think it should be a
separate menu option, with a simple dialogue to let the user choose the
table to attach.

The reason for that is that Attach is an action not a property. On the
Properties panels we expect any changes we make to be the same the next
time the dialogue is opened - e.g. if you toggle "Enable Trigger" to
disabled and hit OK, then next time you open the dialogue you see the
switch in the same position. With Attach, that's not the case - you'll list
one or more tables to attach, hit OK, and when you next open the Properties
dialogue, those partitions will be listed in the partition list, not the
Attach list.