It would be nice if the pgadmin40v1-web package set the SERVER_MODE  = True

I can't think why you would install the web package without this but there may
be a reason?
Also since the setup script does different things depending on this value if
you don't do it first you have to delete the config and sqllite database and
start again otherwise it will never work

Currently I have this in my setup script

#Overide SERVER_MODE (must be done BEFORE setup)
cat >> /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pgadmin4-web/config_local.py << "EOF"
SERVER_MODE = True
EOF

Thanks

Mike