On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

PE> > How can I organize automated database dumping for passord protected
PE> > database?
PE> If you're implying something like "How do I get around entering a
PE> password?", that won't be solvable so easily. Possibly you want to use
PE> ident authentication for that particular user and host or hardcode the
PE> password in your (preferably read-protected) script. (If anyone has better
PE> ideas here, let us know.)

Yes, surely, I meant precisely this situation. I have looked through sources of
pg_dump, but have no time to patch it to achieve desired effect :)

PE> A different solution would be to backup the $PGDATA/base directory using
PE> regular file backup methods. That wouldn't be a dump, so it depends on
PE> your particular needs.

This may not have the desired effect, as the database may be not in
consistent state.

Or am I wrong presuming that pg_dump locks entire database for update?

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ***