On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> When postgres will use posix threads or support pool of backends (like apache)?
> I guess it will increase speed very fast.

Actually, the current model greatly benefits multiprocessor machines on
certain free operating systems (which are our best customers). Those can
only split _processes_ between CPUs but not _threads_. Thus mySQL will
only use one processor no matter how many you have, whereas PostgreSQL can
use one for each query (i.e. backend).

> Using posix threads may increase data base engine using own internal locking
> system againgst system locks.

I don't see that happen anytime soon. Thread programming is not very well
understood by the programming community at large, the support across
operating systems is also questionable, and there are really more
important things on the agenda.

> Postgres is good database, but its too slow...

There is no such thing as a free lunch ...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   75262 Uppsala