On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Yes! But I recommend backend pool too. What is it? The postmaster task
> runs now backend for each query. Good. But After query backend
> finished. I recommend to stay backend running within a some timeout.
> If the next query occured the postmaster redirect query to any idle
> backend or run a new one unless. Then backend serve some connections
> it shut down itself, this prevents memory leaks.
>
> Using this method we can get same speed like as with threads.

Actually, with how fast Bruce has been able to get the start time on a
backend process, I seriously doubt that you'll get much more of a speed
up, but if you wish to work on creating a 'backend pool' of processes, I
don't think anyone will complain...

> I hope my postgresql will be faster when I install more RAM :-(

What version of PostgreSQL are you currently running?  From a previous
message, I'm suspecting v6.3, which, compared to current releases, is
slow...

The other thing...how much RAM are you currently running?  What startup
options?  What operating system?  Hardware?  If you are running SCSI
drive, great...if IDE, that's one major bottleneck there...

Details my man, details :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org
primary: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org