Ganesan Kanavathy wrote:

I am doing a cronjob to dump pg database everyday.

Below is my script for cronjob.

#!/bin/sh

*/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -U ganesh --no-owner -d mq > /backupdb/mq.dump*

cd /

cd /backupdb/

tar -czf /backupdb/mq-`date '+%d-%m-%Y'`.tar.gz -R *

This cronjob is schedule to run everyday at 3.30am.

The problem I am facing is the when running the cronjob it is asking for password. If I remove *–U ganesh*, it is still prompting for password but this time root password.

*/How do I solve this, when running the pg_dump I don’t want it to prompt for password./*

Regards,

ganesh

Hi,

Just add:
export PGPASSWORD=mypassword
to your script.

Be careful - this is like leaving the key under your house key under the mat.

Regards
Rudi.