Danielle Cossette wrote:
Good morning,

Could you please let me know if Postgres 7.1.3 will run on Solaris 9.
If it does, are you aware of any issues.

I've run 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 on Solaris 8 x86 and Solaris 9 x86. 7.1 install, config, run was nearly 100% hands-off. 7.3 takes setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to /usr/local/lib.

They've run fine for 3+ years ... except I had always allocated a trivial amount of shared memory to Postgres. A few months back, I decided to increase the shmmin/shmmax parameters to something a bit more usable and the OS promptly kernel panic'd upon bootup. It took a few tries to get values that worked. But this week, Solaris just went nuts and kept kernel panicing until I dropped shared memory to next to nothing -- which set Postgres performance back to be unusable.

I blew the OS away, installed Linux and everything runs fine. Actually better than fine; better performance due to better drivers (especially for ATA hard drives), better disk cache management, lower memory footprint, etc. I had already switched to Linux on one server due to a non-working LSI 32320-R driver and this shared memory problem has pretty much cemented our plans to move off Solaris.