Tom Lane wrote:

Jeff Boes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

What causes the contents of pg_listener to "linger" long past the lifespan of
the associated database backend? My table has rows that I know must be days old.

PG version?

7.3.4

In any case, if there is a row for a dead backend it should be removed
the first time someone tries to "notify" that condition name and
discovers that he can't signal the dead backend.  If you've got days-old
dead rows they must be for very-infrequently-notified conditions.

regards, tom lane

Yup, that seems to be the case. When I "NOTIFY" these, they disappear. Any other way to clean them up? The problem is that there's one legit listener, and umpteen dead ones. I can rig up something to notify all these but I have to make sure that the legit listener is offline.

--
Jeff Boes                                      vox 269.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer                                     fax 269.349.9076

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match