John Allgood wrote:
After reading the thread about the Xeons and the context switching issue I have decided to go with the Opteron. Has anyone got any thoughts or input on running the system on PostgreSQL 7.3.6 and RHES 3.0. I realize 7.4 is probably better for the Opteron but right now that is not a option. Here is my system.
In 64bit mode? I had problems with any 7.3 pgsql on FreeBSD in 64bit mode while later versions work fine. Of course, this might not apply to Linux, but only your testing will reveal that.

But generally RHES should be excellent choice for serious pgsql server and Opterons are faaaaast :)

Tomaž

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend