Obviously not :-(.  This should be pointing to /usr/local/pgsql_8.0b3/lib/
so it seems you didn't do the rpath enabling correctly; or maybe your
system is configured in a way that overrides rpath (do you have
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in your environment?).

Yay!! When I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH then things work correctly. Your patience and help is very much appreciated. If you are ever in the Boston area I will buy you a beer.

I don't have any more advice than that to give; you may need to find a
Linux shared-library guru to help you fix it.

One final question, I used the following to configure the build. Did I do something to cause the library to not link properly or do I need to find a Linux shared-library guru?

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql_8.0b3 --with-pgport=5480 --with-perl --with-python --with-tcl --enable-thread-safety --enable-debug --enable-cassert --enable-depend