Oops. That's right. I was relying on memory, which is less reliable than man. Fortunately, I always consult man before killing... :P

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect

Strategic Open Source: Open Your i™

http://www.sitening.com/
110 30th Avenue North, Suite 6
Nashville, TN 37203-6320
615-260-0005

On Apr 23, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Michael Fuhr wrote:

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 10:58:46AM -0500, Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:

It is generally not recommended that you kill processes with anything stronger than HUP, which is (I believe) what kill sends by default.

kill usually sends TERM by default, not HUP.

(I say "usually" only because I haven't personally examined every
implementation of kill in existence.  Every one I've used sends
TERM by default and I haven't heard of any that work otherwise.)

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq