Hi All-

I'm having some issues with connecting to my servers if I put 'md5' as the connection method in my pg_hba.conf (which is what I want!). If I put 'trust', I can connect without any issues.

I built 8.0.8 from source because we wanted to use SSL; and my pg_hba.conf file currently looks as follows:

   # TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
   # IPv4 local connections:
   #host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
   # IPv6 local connections:
   #host all all ::1/128 trust
   hostssl all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust

If I change the hostssl line to: hostssl all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5, restart the server, and attempt to connect via pgadmin, I see the message 'Connecting to the database... Failed.' If I attempt to connect to a database using the command line:
    C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\bin>psql -d apt -U postgres
    Password:
psql: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "127.0.0.1", user "postgres", database "apt", SSL off
    C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\bin>

But if I change the hostssl line back to: hostssl all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust and restart the server, I can connect through both pgadmin and the command line.

Would I have to had done something special when building Postgres to enable the use of md5? My command line parameters were: ./configure --with-openssl --with-includes=/usr/local/include --with-libraries=/usr/local/lib --without-zlib

Thanks in advance for all of your help! If you need any more info, just let me know. I really need to get this issue resolved.

Thanks,
-Jeanna

              http://archives.postgresql.org