Hello,

                I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "starting a standalone
  postgres session and using it to recreate your SQL users".  Do you  mean
running initdb on a new data directory and then trying to create  new users?
I'm fairly certain we already tried that.  Since  we cannot log into the
postgres user at all we can't run  createuser.  We can start and stop the
database but cannot log in  with any users.  We ran the script in this fashion:

  psql -f etc/database_schema_12-13.sql [DSpace database name] -h localhost

        The script just contains sql commands to  create tables and sequences
within the database specified.  Again,  I don't know much about the template1
database but we did not touch it  (that we know of) if it does contain user
accounts.  I'm thinking  perhaps since the local data directory actually just
points to another  one which has the real data that psql might have been
confused.

  /usr/local/pgsql/data

  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root      other         22 Apr 18   2006 data ->
/home/local/pgsql/data

  /home/local/pgsql/data
  drwx------  10 postgres staff        512 Nov 15 14:10 data

  Thanks,
  Will

Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Will Cameron  writes:
>     We are using (PostgreSQL) 8.0.1 for Solaris.  Apparently our
> postgres users were wiped out somehow, for I cannot even log in as
> superuser "postgres".  Our pg_hba.conf settings are as loose as possible
> ("trust").  This problem started mid session after we ran a .sql script
> to upgrade a DSpace digital library database within the postgres system.

Better take a closer look at what that script did.

Meanwhile, you can probably get out of this by starting a standalone
postgres session and using it to recreate your SQL users.

   regards, tom lane

Sponsored Link

   Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - $150,000 loan for $579 a month.
Intro-*Terms