Thank you for this infos, I wasn't sure about this, now, at least, I know
that this is not possible.
On the other hand, even the most experienced database programmer /
administrator  when upgrading a production environment can't be 100% sure
about whether the application,will fail or not.
Of course, testing is the only way to ensure that everything will be as
smooth as possible but a real safety net would be to establish a common dump
file format across different PG versions.
I will keep searching ... and testing of course :)

My understanding is that dumps are not backwards compatible.  Any dumps
created with a Version 8.*
pg_dump cannot be used for any older versions.  If you want "play it safe"
you should create a new
server for the postgresql version 8.1 to preform validation tests with
your front-ends.  After you
are satisfied that everything works well you can replace the version 7
production server with
version 8.

If you would like a safety net beyond this you could contact one of the
PostgreSQL consulting
companies to walk you through the integration of V.8.1 into your
projection system.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.