On 12/8/06, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

> On 12/8/06, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
>> You need to read documentation ! rank_cd accepts the same args as rank()
>> function.
>
> Dear Oleg,
>
> Could you please elaborate a bit more if time permits.
> our application is old and it was working fine in 8.1.5. do i need to
> change the sql
> to use a different function  ?

from reference manual:

CREATE FUNCTION rank_cd(
     [ weights float4[], ] vector TSVECTOR, query TSQUERY, [ normalization int4
]
     ) RETURNS float4

Dear Oleg,

thanks for the prompt help. looks like we have to modify
our application code.

i would like to point out :

In our Production Database

\df public.rank_cd
+--------+---------+------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Schema |  Name   | Result data type |         Argument data types         |
+--------+---------+------------------+-------------------------------------+
| public | rank_cd | real             | integer, tsvector, tsquery          |
| public | rank_cd | real             | integer, tsvector, tsquery, integer |
| public | rank_cd | real             | tsvector, tsquery                   |
| public | rank_cd | real             | tsvector, tsquery, integer          |
+--------+---------+------------------+-------------------------------------+
(4 rows)

In tsearch2.sql  (with pgsql 8.2.0)

$ grep "CREATE FUNCTION rank_cd"  tsearch2.sql
CREATE FUNCTION rank_cd(float4[], tsvector, tsquery)
CREATE FUNCTION rank_cd(float4[], tsvector, tsquery, int4)
CREATE FUNCTION rank_cd(tsvector, tsquery)
CREATE FUNCTION rank_cd(tsvector, tsquery, int4)

This means first arguments have changed from  integer to float4[]
This means all the application code needs to be changed  now :-/

postgres=# SELECT  name, rank_cd(name_vec,to_tsquery('hello')     ) as rank
from test where name_vec @@ to_tsquery('hello') ;
     name     | rank
-------------+------
  hello world |  0.1
(1 row)

or

postgres=# SELECT  name, rank_cd('{1,1,1,1}',name_vec,to_tsquery('hello')     )
as rank  from test where name_vec @@ to_tsquery('hello') ;
     name     | rank
-------------+------
  hello world |    1
(1 row)

BTW: above did not work for me

i had to explicitly cast '{1,1,1,1}' to '{1,1,1,1}'::float4[] ,
is anything fishy with my database ?

SELECT  name, rank_cd('{1,1,1,1}'::float4[]
,name_vec,to_tsquery('hello')     ) as rank  from test where name_vec
@@ to_tsquery('hello') ;

( PS: thanks  for the nice tsearch software we have been using it since
"pre tsearch" era. (openfts) )

Regds
Mallah.

>> Oleg
>> On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

        Regards,
                Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate