I am trying to run commands from the shell (without becoming the postgres user
first), which work fine on our live server, but on our dev server I receive
FATAL authentication errors.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]$ createdb -U postgres lan_portal
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  Ident authentication
failed for user "postgres"

[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]$ psql -U postgres lan_portal < /tmp/lan_portal.bck
psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

What needs to be configured so I can run the above commands in the shell?

I was able to create the database once I "su" to postgres, using CREATE
DATABASE, but I do not know how to restore a database as I do in the shell as
listed above.

Thanks

Marc