What it sounds like to me is that you're not vacuuming the system
catalogs, which are getting bloated with dead rows about all those
dropped tables.

Wow, great!

It is not immediately clear from the documentation, but the VACUUM
command also deals with the system catalogs as well, correct?

To expand on Tom's answer, rows in system tables are created not only for tables but for each column in the table, rules, indexes, etc. You can end up with a lot more row creation than you suspect. And temporary tables bloat the system tables just like regular tables. We discovered that cron scripts using temporary tables can cause very rapid system-table blotage.

Cheers,
Steve