Hi all;

I cannot connect to a postgres (8.3) cluster locally (via ssh onto the
server).

The postgresql.conf file has this:

# - Connection Settings -

listen_addresses = '*'
#listen_addresses = '0.0.0.0'       # what IP address(es) to listen on;
                    # comma-separated list of addresses;
                    # defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
                    # (change requires restart)
port = 5432             # (change requires restart)
max_connections = 100           # (change requires restart)
# Note:  Increasing max_connections costs ~400 bytes of shared memory per
# connection slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).  You might
# also need to raise shared_buffers to support more connections.
#superuser_reserved_connections = 3 # (change requires restart)
unix_socket_directory = '/var/run/postgresql'       # (change requires
restart)
#unix_socket_group = ''         # (change requires restart)
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777     # begin with 0 to use octal notation
                    # (change requires restart)
#bonjour_name = ''          # defaults to the computer name
                    # (change requires restart)

The pg_hba.conf has this:
local   all         postgres                          trust
local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               ident sameuser
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         postgres         127.0.0.1/32          trust
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
hostssl all         all         0.0.0.0/0          md5
host all         all         0.0.0.0/0          md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

I can ssh to a different host and connect via psql -h <host>

but if I'm on the postgres local server I get this:

$ psql -l
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance