Dick Visser <vis...@terena.org> writes:
> Ideally I would like the trigger to fire and then do the actual work in
> the background, but I found no way of doing this.

> So I came to NOTIFY/LISTEN. But because there a several pieces of
> software talking to the database, this is not ideal either.

Well, the traditional solution is to have a trigger or rule that fires
the NOTIFY.  You don't need any cooperation from the client apps.

> Is there a way to trigger stuff using NOTIFY/LISTEN, but WITHOUT an
> external client doing the magic?

No.  You need a dedicated client process that just sits there waiting
for notifies.  (Well, it might be able to do some other useful work
too, but the simplest way is to dedicate a connection for this.)

                        regards, tom lane