Hi all

Please assist on this scenario, I am a junior DBA, perhaps the question I have
is too simple please bear with me.

I have a server with one PostgreSQL database and the data reside in
/usr/local/pgsql/data/ running on Redhat 9 O/S.

File system looks as follows:

/dev/hda3              73G   61G  8.7G  88% /
/dev/hda1              99M   63M   32M  67% /boot
none                  441M     0  441M   0% /dev/shm

Disc space utilization looks as follows where the data/ directory seems to be
taking a lot of space compared to any other directories:

>From / directory on user root/:

Size        directory
4.0K    ./lost+found
58M     ./boot
436K    ./dev
900M    ./proc
1.1G    ./var
263M    ./tmp
25M     ./etc
26M     ./root
57G     ./usr
5.3M    ./bin
2.0G    ./home
4.0K    ./initrd
68M     ./lib
32K     ./mnt
4.0K    ./opt
15M     ./sbin
4.0K    ./misc
4.0K    ./.automount
48K     ./tftpboot
44K     ./backup
211M    ./u
8.0K    ./backups
62G     .                      - Size

/usr/local/pgsql/data/base  directory shows the following where 95186722/ takes
a lot of space  :

3.6M    ./1
3.6M    ./16975
51G     ./95186722
4.8M    ./4830693
51G     .

Some files (which are called table space names, please correct me if I am
wrong?) listed under 95186722/ directory shows different sizes where the
biggest of all is 440M :

-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      16K May  5 12:50 219436402
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      16K May  5 12:50 219436401
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      16K May  5 12:50 219436400
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      16K May  5 12:50 219436399
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      34M May  5 12:50 219436274
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      42M May  5 12:50 219436273
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      43M May  5 12:50 219436272
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      42M May  5 12:50 219436271
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      34M May  5 12:50 219436270
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      42M May  5 12:50 219436269
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      42M May  5 12:50 219436268
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      51M May  5 12:50 219436267
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      34M May  5 12:50 219436266
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      51M May  5 12:50 219436265
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      15M May  5 12:50 218478745
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      11M May  5 12:50 218478744
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      10M May  5 12:50 218478743
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres      13M May  5 12:50 218478742
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres     440M May  5 12:50 216081969.1

Now the dump file of the very same database created by using command : pg_dump
-U user -O dbname > /tmp/filename is 2.8G big. :

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 2.8G May  5 12:47 db.dump

The main question I have is: What makes the
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/95186722/  grow so big while the actual data with
its schema is only 2.8G and that is there a way to reduce the table space sizes
or anything related to that?

Your response will be truly appreciated

Thanks
Khangelani Gama

Confidentiality Notice:http://ucs.co.za/conf.html

The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the addressee
only, and may contain the confidential information of UCS Group and/or its
subsidiaries. Any review, use or dissemination thereof by anyone other than the
intended addressee is prohibited. If you are not the intended addressee please
notify the writer immediately and destroy the e-mail. UCS Group Limited and its
subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no liability for unauthorised
use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent other than strictly for business
purposes.