Hi Andrew,

Il 29/11/12 02:52, Andrew W. Gibbs ha scritto:
That said, I'm wondering whether I created the base backup with
reliably correct procedures or merely was lucky.
PostgreSQL documentation on how continuous archiving works is clear, but you need to follow exactly what it says and have a clear understanding and how Postgres works.

In order to simplify the management of disaster recovery solutions for PostgreSQL, we have recently developed and distributed an open source project called Barman. I am not sure whether you have looked at it or not. In this case, I suggest you give it a go. More information at http://www.pgbarman.org/

It is also available as RPM and Debian/Ubuntu package and works from PostgreSQL 8.4 onwards.

Barman takes care of backups, works remotely and assist DBAs during recovery (both local to the backup server or remote).

Cheers,
Gabriele

--
 Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia