From: pgsql-admin-ow...@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-ow...@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Silvana Bravo
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:58 AM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to Postgresql. I
would like to receive some suggestions, advising or links to related subjects.
I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a problem.  But
regarding the data I was thinking in migrating schema by schema. First, create
all table structures in postgresql schema. Then, generate inserts statements
from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt those inserts to the .sql
script/s in postgresql schema.
I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are not
so big. Only a few tables have around 1.000.000 of rows.
That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?

Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

----

Oracle has so called "heterogeneous services" that would allow to connect
directly (creating db link) to Postgres ODBC data source, that you could point
to your Postgres database.

Regards,
Igor Neyman