On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 4:27 PM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Magnus Hagander <mag...@hagander.net> writes:
> > And I think Davids comment about repetitive language would apply to yours
> > as well, and should maybe be simplified there too?
>
> Per the discussion in the other thread, we concluded that being repetitive
> was the only way to be sure people would see the material at all.
> If you look at
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/runtime.html
>
> a lot of people are going to follow one of the section links before
> they ever see any of the chapter head material.

I think we're talking about a different repetitiveness. If I apply Davids
suggestion to that patch, then instead of:

+  <para>
+   If you are using a pre-packaged version
+   of <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>, it may well have a specific
+   convention for where to place the data directory, and it may also
+   provide a script for creating the data directory.  In that case you

It would say something like
Pre-packaged versions of PostgreSQL may have a specific convention....

(rest unchanged).

//Magnus