On 15.11.23 09:37, Erik Wienhold wrote:
On 2023-11-15 08:16 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
The SQL standard does not refer to ISO 8601 to define date formats, it has
its own definitions.  In fact, PostgreSQL implements more date formats than
the SQL standard requires.

Really?  Then what does the standard mean with section "Definitions
taken from ISO 8601" which I quoted in [1]?  Just using the term "date"
without adopting its syntax?

Exactly, it just imports the definitions of those terms.

And the Postgres docs also say "The SQL standard requires the use of the
ISO 8601 format." [2]
[2]
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-DATETIME-OUTPUT

Yeah, that isn't correct.

I think we should reframe "ISO" to mean "ISO 9075" and remove all claims of alignment with ISO 8601 and RFC 3339.